Monday, November 29, 2010

First Married Holiday

So this was our first married holiday. It was a headache to plan but boy was it fun! Between trying to figure out which family was where and which family we'd see and travel time and food arrangements and meeting people and emails, I really thought this weekend would have been stressful. Good news, though! It was not stressful at all. In fact, it was probably one of my favorite Thanksgivings ever!
On Tuesday, I cooked for a silent Thanksgiving dinner with the ASL class I teach. We tried really, really hard to be silent and talk in sign language. I think we did pretty good most of the night.
On Thursday, we traveled 3 hours to see my step-mom's family. We played a game called quarters that is completely and totally random. It fits the definition of gambling perfectly. Then we played Texas Hold 'em which is technically gambling but if you've got skill like me, it's definitely worth the small $5 buy-in. I would have won if my aunt hadn't given up and let her husband take over her chips. Then we traveled 3 hours back home and slept peacefully.
On Friday, we slept in late and then went to the beach to meet up with my dad's family. This is the family that I grew up with, the one's that know all my awkwardness and craziness and remember all my dumb moments and little kid cuteness, the one that I love dearly and will treasure forever. I am so very very thankful for them. We hung out playing card games most of Friday afternoon. Jason and Ethan built a fire. Friday was a small bunch. 2 aunts, an uncle, a brother, a nephew, Dad and Sharon, Jason and me. It was nice. We had hot dogs out by the fire and played Clue when it got too cold to be outside.
Saturday, more people showed up. The beach house was definitely crowded! All 4 aunts, 2 uncles, more cousins and brothers and second-cousins-twice-removed too count. We spent most of the day taking walks (not long walks. it was cold) on the beach and eating. I got to hang out with my second cousin Cora who is adorable (my previously mentioned cousin Jodi's 3 month old baby) and my newest niece Zoee (my older brother's second child) and my nephew Asher (my older brother's first child) and it definitely made me a little tiny bit baby crazy. Just a little bit though. We ended the day with another fire and a game of charades. It was a blast. We finally headed home and practically fell into bed, asleep before we hit the pillow. It was so exhausting and so much fun. I can think of countless moments that seem to be from a treasure box or a Norman Rockwell calendar or something.
Sunday, we went to church and then headed out to meet Jason's family for lunch at Luby's. It was Grandpa Frank's 89th birthday. I don't remember a single name except for the people I already knew but they all seemed to be pretty gosh golly nice. I really like his family. We didn't stay for long but we took some pictures and chatted a bunch.
Now, it's back to the regular ole life which is really anything but regular or ole. Again, like it's from a Norman Rockwell calendar. Seriously. I'll post pictures when we decorate for Christmas. Ta ta for now!

0 comments: