Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Cakes

I've been thinking about cakes lately. I know I want red velvet cake but the question is the decoration. I HATE fondant icing. It tastes bad and icing ought to be the best part of the cake. I want three tiers, simple design, and a cake topper. I don't understand why people are shaking the cake topper tradition, but I plan to keep it. There's a Willow Tree topper that I've already picked out. I'll upload a picture later. Until then, here are some ideas for the design.


So I know this one isn't simple. I really like it though. I also know it's fondant icing. It would be really hard to do that without fondant, I think. It's pretty. It's most likely not what we'll choose but the print is very, very pretty.


The color is a little bit off in this one. It's more of a maroon than a red but that's not really an issue. It's a very simple design. Straight, clean lines. I like that.


This is my favorite, I think. Change the ribbon to true red and it's the perfect cake. The off white wouldn't offset the Willow Tree topper and would sit well on top of the hay bale table (yes, I said hay bale table).

This one is pretty but again, too complex for our wedding. I like the way the flowers stand out from the cake, even if it is fondant icing.


I sorta like this one because of the simple ribbons but I don't think the flowers work quite right.


Now this one, the flowers work a little bit better. I don't know why this picture turned out so small but it did and you can't see the details on the flowers. They're fresh roses. It's still not quite what I'm looking for but I like the idea of fresh flowers on the cake.


This is another favorite. It's detailed so it will work with the vintage details in the reception like the lanterns on the tables. But it's simple so it will work with country theme. I don't like the flowers on top, but I do like the general design.


I know I said simple and this is NOT simple at all. But it's so gorgeous! I love these details! So intricate and wonderful and oh my goodness! Maybe I won't do simple. Maybe I'll do this! Ha!


Ignore the top of this cake. Look at the roses. That's what I'm thinking when I think about fresh flowers on a wedding cake. That's it exactly. Just forget the rest of the cake.


I absolutely love this! I never thought I would like a square wedding cake but this is so cute looking! Obviously, change the colors. Maybe instead of "love" on the top layer, we could put "Palermo." That might be too long to put on the top layer. Maybe the bottom layer. I actually might consider forgoing the cake topper with this cake. Who knows?

3 comments:

♥ Wagley ♥ said...

I think cakes were my favorite thing to look at when planning the wedding because it was ALL me! I didn't ask anyone else's opinion on it. I think the square cakes are SUPER cute and I also love the one that says Wild Cakes across it. If I hadn't done the butterflies on my cake I was looking at something like this! IT is definitely not simple though...

♥ Wagley ♥ said...

o-ya and as far as the flowers go... I LOVE Calla Lillies! Thats what was at my wedding! The are simple yet very pretty! Just the right mixture...

Aly said...

jason and i arent getting different cakes. neither of us are big cake eaters and we're having pie for desert so the cake is going to be rather small and more for the tradition than anything else.

i LOVE calla lillies too! they are so pretty and simple and nice and awesome <3